Travel by Air, Car, Train, or Coach.
Travel by Air
Geneva, Lyon, Chambery and Grenoble airports are all within a reasonable distance of Meribel and Val d’Isère. Some of the main airlines to try are:
- Snowjet - www.snowjet.co.uk - Flights to Chambery from Bristol, Gatwick, Manchester and Stanstead
- Ski Flights - www.ski-flights.com - Flights from all major UK airports to Geneva, Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery
- British Airways - www.britishairways.com - Flights from all major UK airports to Geneva
- FlyBe - www.flybe.com - Flights from Southampton to Chambery
- Jet2 - www.jet2.com - Flights from Leeds Bradford to Chambery
- Easyjet - www.easyjet.com - Flights to Geneva and Lyon from all major airports
We can help you arrange a private transfer to both Meribel and Val d’Isère from whichever airport you choose.
Travel By Car
There is a strong case for travelling by car – loading your bags, children and kitchen sink in at one end without the risk of losing a beloved teddy bear, or treasured pair of ski boots on the carousel at the airport! Ferry crossings are regular, as are the Channel Tunnel crossings.
- Le Shuttle +44 (0) 8443 353 535 www.eurotunnel.com
- P&O Ferries +44 (0) 8706 002 002 www.posl.com
- Norfolk Line +44 (0) 8448 475 042 www.norfolkline.com
- A Ferry – a price comparison website for the ferry market www.aferry.co.uk
It is approximately 9 hours from Calais to Meribel, Val d’Isère is a further hour. Often guests have stayed somewhere en route to break up the journey, please ask us for advice on where to stay. The tolls will costs about 75€ in total each way. Do note that at peak times traffic towards the Savoyard resorts gets very busy as one road services both the Three Valleys and the Espace Killy (Val d’Isère) as well as other resorts so leave plenty of time.
If you are driving to the Alps you will need to abide by French driving laws by purchasing various items for your car journey (high vis vest, bulbs, triangles).
Recommended places to stay en route
- Formule 1 - www.hotelformule1.com - if you are looking for somewhere to just lay your head that is clean and easily accessible then the F1 hotels are the one!
- Alistair Sawdays - www.sawdays.co.uk - a selection of carefully sourced and special places to stay across France
- Chateau Tanay - www.chateau-tanay.com - Clare stayed here recently and she highly recommends it! £80 a night for a double room
Directions to Meribel
- Click here to view/download directions to find us from Calais.
- Click here to view/download directions to find us from Geneva.
- Click here to view/download directions to find us from Lyon.
- Click here to view/download directions to find us from Grenoble.
- Click here to view/download directions to find us from Chambery.
Directions to Val d’Isere
- Click here to view/download Directions from Calais to Val d’Isere
- Click here to view/download Directions from Geneva Airport to Val d’Isere
- Click hereto view/download directions from Lyon Airport to Val d’Isere
- Click here to view/download Directions from Grenoble Airport to Val d’Isere
Our Meribel chalets have plenty of private parking outside the chalets. Val d’Isère discourages cars in the resort and has an excellent free bus service on a loop so once there you will have little need for your car. There is a choice of underground car parks to safely stow your car for the week. Do book your place in advance – www.parkingvaldisere.com (50€-69€ per week depending on the car park).
When driving to the Alps snow chains are advisable (especially in Val d’Isère), though the routes are cleared regularly and you should get in without. Try www.halfords.com for your 6 piece winter essential kit!
Snow Chains provides everything you need along with chains which are also a legal requirement in snowy conditions. Order online and receive a 10% discount www.snowchains.com
Travel by Train & Coach
There are a couple of options when travelling by train:
- On Saturdays you are able to take the train direct from London St Pancras to Moutiers (Meribel) or the next stop (Bourg St Maurice) for Val d’Isère. This leaves around 10am and arrives in Moutiers at a civilized 5pm, only 25 minutes from Meribel or on to Bourg 40 minutes later (with 40 minute transfer to Val d’Isère)
- On Friday evening you are able to take the night train from London St Pancras to Moutiers or Bourg. This not only arrives early on Saturday morning to give you an extra days skiing, but also has a disco carriage on board!
Do try the following for enquiries and ticket purchase:
- Eurostar +44 (0) 8432 186 186 www.eurostar.com
- Rail Bookers +44 (0) 8444 821 020 www.railbookers.com
- Rail Europe +44 (0) 8448 484 064 www.raileurope.com
Alternatively you can use the Snow Carbon Journey Planner to help you plan your journey by train.
Unlike rail company websites, the Snowcarbon Journey Planner:
- shows journey schedules up to one year in advance
- makes it easy for skiers to view and compare journey options, with optional date filtering
- gives a summary of transfer times from station to resort, with links to train guides and how to change in Paris easily
+44 (0) 208 668 8223
If you are looking to keep travel costs to a minimum then Ski Meribel offers a return coach journey from only £119! From London or Dover to Meribel overnight, leaving on Friday and returning the following Saturday night gives you 8 days skiing. Plus you will be travelling in comfort in a new “2009 design sleeper coach” with reclining chairs and the extra luxuries of blankets and pillows.
+44 (0) 845 890 0390
A similar service is available with Snow Express for travel to and from Val d’Isère. The luxury coach leaves London Victoria at 19:00 on a Friday evening and arrives in Val d’Isère at 15:00 the next day. A single starts at only £60 per person.
For guests travelling to Meribel only Fish & Pips operate an 8-seater minibus in resort. This is available for transfers on a first come, first served priced at a competitive rate.
If you find we are already booked or you are travelling to Val d’Isère then we will happily arrange your private transfer to and from the airport or station with the reputable companies we recommend, just let us know the details and we can give you all the price information.
We work closely with the best transfer companies in Meribel and Val d’Isère.
3 Vallee Transfers
We have worked with 3 Vallee Transfers for several years now; they continually provide a superbly reliable and professional approach to airport transfers. Unlike many agencies selling transfers via the internet, they do not contract out your transfers to any other transport companies, so can guarantee your vehicle’s quality and your driver’s professionalism.
3VT are the largest provider of private airport transfers within the 3 Vallées. All of their vehicles are new each season, are 4×4 and fully air-conditioned. You’re assured of a smart, clean and safe ride every time. Complimentary child seats are provided where necessary.
Europe Transfer is a fully licensed French transfer company which prides itself in offering a friendly door to door ski transfer service to all our clients. They have been providing reliable and excellent value transfers for 5 years now. Europe Transfer airport transfer drivers are British and have completed training in driving in the French Alps. Their uniformed driver will be there to meet you at Airport arrivals and will transfer you directly to your ski resort accommodation.
Europe Transfer run a fleet of modern 8-seater long wheelbase minibuses so there is plenty of luggage space. Complimentary child seats are provided where necessary
Ben’s Bus run ski transfers to Meribel from Geneva Airport every Saturday and Sunday from only £74pp Return. From Grenoble Airport they have a direct service to Moutiers, from where you can get a private taxi or public bus up to Meribel. They run every Saturday and Sunday and the price to Moutiers is £69.50pp Return.
They also run ski transfers to Val d’Isere every Saturday and Sunday from Geneva Airport from only £74pp Return and from Grenoble Airport from £79.50pp Return.
They have English and French speaking reps at the airport and in resort to ensure you get on the coach without any problems. Spaces are limited so it is advised to book early at www.bensbus.co.uk.
|Geneva||2 hrs||3 hrs|
|Chambery||1.15 hrs||2.15 hrs|
|Lyon||2 hrs||3 hrs|
|Grenoble||2.5 hrs||3.5 hrs|
|Bourg St Maurice||N/A||40 mins|