Lemon Polenta Cake
9th October 2015
150g soft unsalted butter (plus some for greasing)
100g ground almonds
50g fine polenta
1 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
Zest of 2 lemons (save juice for syrup)
For the syrup
Juice of 2 lemons
125g icing sugar
- Line the base of a 23cm / 9inch spring-form cake tin with baking parchment and grease its sides lightly with butter.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until pale and whipped.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix together the almonds, polenta and baking powder, and beat this into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Using a skewer, insert into the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is ready. Remove from the oven to a wire cooling rack, but leave in its tin.
- Make the syrup by boiling together the lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Prick the top of the cake all over with a skewer, pour the warm syrup over the cake, and leave to cool before taking it out of its tin.